Thursday, February 20, 2014

Shadow (Prose/May 2012)

"You are a shadow. A dark, long mysterious shadow. 

There is something hollow and yet full about the blackness of a shadow that intrigues me.

I am too bright a light; people can't look at me for too long because I am always too chirpy and upbeat and positive about life. (How can anyone be happy just like that?)

Do I not understand sadness? Do I not understand pain and disappointment? People marvel at my stark innocence and insouciance towards life. 

But I only wish to burn brighter to chase the darkness away. 

 *** 
 Do I wish for you to turn into light, to be like me? I love the way you are but because you are a shadow, you are impossible to grasp and hold on to. 

I can only look at you behind me, in front of me, at the sides. I can never really quite touch you. And that's why you are mysterious. You are beautiful. 

Are you empty? Or are you full? I cant quite reach you so can you tell me what do you consist of? What are your thoughts and feelings and opinions and dreams? Your goals? Do you plan to just exist only when there is light or do you wish to be more defined and solid? 

I've tried so hard to stretch myself out and reach to you, but still I can never quite touch you. 

 *** 

 Shadows. Are they veils? Are they a representation of what we want to have but can't have? Are they the darkness of light? 

 Where are you? Are you just a cloak that morphs and takes my shape? Why is it that you only exist when I shine so brightly? Who is going to pick me up when I turn cold and dark?

If a light is strong enough to survive on its own, what's the use of love then? Maybe that's why light is accompanied by shadows. You are a shadow. You disappear when I turn dark. I can never quite reach you. You are mysterious. You are beautiful. That's why I love you (and I will never love you)."

No comments:

Post a Comment